How To Run By Feel Using The Effort Scale

How To Run By Feel Using The Effort Scale

Perhaps we all have heard the quote that running is 90% mental effort, and only the rest 10% is the training. Our mental aspect can make or break the day of the race. We often think of why I am getting slower or why I am not getting faster than before, in spite of all the training I am doing. This type of thought makes you weak mentally. Some mental strategies are required to run better. You need to accept that training pace, and running speed is not entirely different, and you need to learn how to run a slower pace. Finding the perfect running pace is challenging. It may be right or not right. In this situation, what you need badly is the effort scale. It will help you do exactly what you need by taking all the pressure off.

How To Run By Feel Using The Effort Scale
How To Run By Feel Using The Effort Scale

What Is The Effort Scale?

An effort scale is a useful tool using which the pace aspect of running will just vanish. I am using this almost every alternate day for the last few months. That is why I am so confident about it.

Forget about the pace for a minute. It means you don’t need to look at your GPS watch on your wrist for any training.

Think about the training on a scale of 1-10. One indicates a very light jog you would use in repeats or imagine yourself crossing a road at a traffic light. It is as simple as that.

Generally, it is 3-4 minutes slower than the marathon pace or 4-5 minutes slower than the 5 km pace. And the 10 of the scale indicates the final 400m of a race.

Now, break down the rest of your training.

An easy recovery run should be given 3 out of 10.

The steady-state runs that make breathing a little tricky, and you have to put some effort into maintaining the state, but you feel strong should sit at 5/10.

The initial one mile of a 5k or first half of a marathon should sit around 7.

The 9 and 10 are reserved for races.

How Will You Use The Effort Scale?

Recovery runs sit at the place three like the warm-ups before any hard workout.

Here is an example of a weeklong workout.

Speed day: 4 miles of 400m to 800m repeats

1.5 mile at effort 6

800 m at seven effort with three repeats

400m At An Effort Of 7-8 With 4 Repeats

How To Run By Feel Using The Effort Scale
How To Run By Feel Using The Effort Scale

Why The Scale Based Training Is More Effective Than Using Paces?

You might have been thinking that paces are better than the effort scale. Trust me, looking at your watch so often will lower down your performance as you get panicked.

Without using the watch, do all the training on workouts faster than before and on the final race day, put off the GPS watch, and reach your goal with all your potential.

Now, compare which is better for your GPS watch or effort scale. Determine the way of your next training yourself.

Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter